Monday, July 26, 2010

Introducing Al's Diary!

It is not easy to tell a good story...or at least to tell a good story well. Yet, here I am committing to do exactly that - i.e. recount real-life tales - without the slightest confidence of making a good job of it! But all that, a bit later.

First, the genesis of this extraordinary decision!

Over the last few years a whole lot of friends have been urging me to put down on paper the various anecdotes that I may have shared with them from time to time. All these anecdotes are really nothing but situations that I have found myself in or incidents that I have experienced during my school, college, work, family and social life.After having successfully procrastinated for a long time I suddenly realised that I may as well give it a go! Why not?!

A few years ago, on being asked by a friend as to how I was, I remember I had said that I was suffering from "Al"! I explained that since I could not remember half the things, "Al" must have got hold of me. It only remained for "zheimer" to catch up to complete the process of Alzheimer's! Somehow, this reasoning amused a lot of people and soon the theory was being bandied around quite freely. In fact, dear reader, you may have already come across it!

Selim Bose, an old family friend, liked this so much, along with a few of my other stories, that he seriously suggested that I write down these experiences, put them together and call the collection "Al's Diary"! Wow! What do you know? Bingo! That is precisely what i am setting forth to do.Behold the birth of Al's Diary! Thank you, Selim - wherever you may be.

How do I go about it? I wish I had the story-telling flair of my father who was a 'reconteur par excellence' of real life tales! He used to regale one and all with his endless stock of travelogues, stories, jokes, conundrums,even rhymes, what have you! His innate sense of humour was so pronounced that his narratives never failed to raise a smile or a laugh. Naturally, they made for very interesting stuff! The problem is, I do not think I have my father's skill even in half measure.

So, back to the beginning. How do I go about it? A wise one advised me by saying that "start at the beginning and do not stop till you reach the end!" Wonderful! With a helpful friend such as he, who needs enemies? Nevertheless the die was cast! I decided to bring Al's Diary to life - with the thought in the back of my mind that may be I should present only the lighter side of life's offerings!

So, on this the 27th 0f July 2010, Al's Diary is born. As to how long it will live, is anybody's guess. But I shall give it all the help and sustenance that I can muster. Hopefully, it will take root and flourish with time.

Dear Reader, welcome to Al's Diary! You shall have to be a bit patient because the first "story" will not appear in this blog. So keep reading. "Reflections" will necessarily have to be a mix of "Al's Diary" and other articles. In fact, some features of Al's Diary have already been published in this blog! Please recall the case of the royal housekeepr at Delhi's Taj Mahal hotel; or the puzzling location of Czechoslovakia in Canada, etc, etc! Remember? To simplify things, I promise to clearly designate the posts from Al's Diary in the title row itself so that you have no problem in distiguishing between contents of Al's Diary and other articles.

I shall leave you today with a request to please continue to read "Reflections" regularly. I also hope that you continue to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment